In episode 139 of the Disruptors for GOOD podcast, Causeartist contributor Rafael Aldon, speaks with Ben Jeffreys, CEO of ATEC*, on how clean cooking can offset more carbon emissions than the global airline industry.
Listen to more Causeartist podcasts.
As ATEC’s CEO and strategic leader Ben has an unwavering commitment to unlocking the potential in others. Ben brings over 14 years experience in managing teams across social enterprise, international development and corporate sectors.
Before his role at ATEC* Ben worked as National Development Manager at SSE, Product Development Manager at Oxfam, and Retail Sales Executive at Westfield.
Globally cooking with wood kills roughly three times as many people each year as traffic accidents – the majority of fatalities being women due to smoke inhalation.
ATEC* is a startup social enterprise that produces, sells and distributes patented biodigester systems for small-scale farmers globally.
ATEC* is a joint venture between Engineers Without Borders and Live & Learn, has installed over 1,000 systems since it commenced and is now expanding globally to a market of over 205 million households.
Solving clean cooking will contribute more to the global economy than the national GDP of Italy and offset more carbon emissions than the global airline industry.
Women and girls bear the greatest cost of a lack of access to clean, modern cooking solutions in the form of poor health and safety. This is costing women and the wider community $3,000 per household per year.
ATEC’s unique Impact Flywheel is the strategic core of how we solve clean cooking. Through creating scalable partnerships between BoP households and international capital markets, our flywheel enables ATEC* to offer high quality, low cost IoT cookstoves to BoP markets at scale.
Data is central to what the company does. ATEC* tracks all impact in the central Impact Dashboard including unit installations, outputs, GPS and 10 different impact outcomes.
The impact potential for clean cooking is 4 billion people, ATEC* will continue to trail-blaze to ensure emerging technology is an integral part of reaching that potential.
Currently there are two products in the ATEC* range: The ATEC* Biodigester and the ATEC* eCook stove.
ATEC* eCook stove – Induction technology stoves that makes cooking cleaner, safer and more efficient for households. Learn more about the eCook stove.
- Safest and easiest cooking solution.
- Affordable to BoP households via PAYGO instalment options.
- GSM connectivity allows live data such as payments, GPS, electricity consumption and unit health updates.
- Most efficient cooking solution on the market. Studies in Cambodia and Bangladesh have shown a 50% reduction in running costs compared to LPG.
- 3 year warranty.
ATEC* Biodigester – Converting farm waste into safe and clean biogas for daily cooking needs. Learn more about the Biodigester.
- Can be installed in areas with flooding or high-groundwater.
- Converts livestock manure into 20 tons of free organic fertiliser.
- Smart financing with our patented PAYGO monthly payment method.
- Households can use the savings from using the biodigester to pay it off.
- Each biodigester generates enough safe and clean biogas for all daily cooking needs. No wood needed.
Causeartist is a multi media company spotlighting impact entrepreneurs, impact startups, and corporate social responsibility.