In episode 31 of the Impact India podcast, I chat with Jitendra and Shivani Sinha, co-founders of SAI Sustainable Agroforestry.
Listen to more Causeartist podcast’s here.
SAI Sustainable Agro is a social venture working to improve the livelihoods of tribal and marginalized farmers in Odisha, India, using agroforestry to redevelop degraded land.
The goal: to develop a truly inclusive and sustainable business model that uplifts marginalized people and farmers worldwide.
Jitendra is a veteran of the agricultural industry in India and a passionate social entrepreneur. His diverse career has included serving as International Chief Technical Advisor to UNDP/GEF and Ministry of Agriculture to the Government of Iran.
In 2019, he co-founded SAI-Social Purpose Corporation (SAI-SPC) in America, and has been replicating his agroforestry model across Africa in Uganda, Ghana and South Africa.
In his spare time, he mentors entrepreneurs in resilient agriculture supply chain development across Asia and Africa.
Shivani has been working passionately on women and children issues since 1999. She initially worked as Vice Principal of an educational institution before moving working in the NGO sector to focus on healthcare for women and children. She currently leads SAI Sustainable Agro’s initiatives to improve healthcare and education for the tribal communities they work with in Odisha.
Prepare for a fully packed episode as Jitendra helps simplify how SAI’s agroforestry model operates, and how their framework continues to support marginalised farmers and be self-sustainable (even during COVID-19).
In this episode, Jitendra, Shivani and I dive into:
- The disconnect between levels of government, nonprofits, and NGOs working with marginalized communities.
- The need to create sustainable jobs in tribal and marginalized communities that foster localization.
- Reconnecting city dwellers to where their food comes from and the people who fuel our agriculture system.
- DoneGood’s “Shop for Good Sunday” Sale is the Sustainable Alternative to Black Friday Sales
- Cream Co. Meats is Building a Direct Marketplace to Support Sustainable and Regenerative Ranches
- The Holiday Sustainable Gift Guide For Conscious Consumers(2021)
- The Next Economy is Being Built by Allocating Capital Into Regenerative Natural Resources
- 18 Sustainable Coats and Jackets for Winter and Rain
Jazz is one of the leading pioneers of the zero waste travel movement in India and the Director of Content at Causeartist. She is the co-founder of Hara House, India's first zero waste guesthouse, and Director of Hara World, an experiential education and impact travel organization for diverse young changemakers. Jazz is deeply passionate about empowering young people to become confident and knowledgeable leaders for sustainable development, zero waste living, conscious fashion, and responsible travel. She is a co-founder of Sustainable Travel Network, and host of the Impact India podcast.. Connect with Jazz at firstname.lastname@example.org