In Episode 7 of the Disruptors for Good podcast I speak with Vaishali Umrikar, Founder of The Empowerment Bag, about starting her company to help support and empower women affected by sex trafficking.
After a successful Indiegogo campaign, funded at 104%, The Empowerment Bag is now on the market selling fashionable and functional bags that empower women at-risk of sexual exploitation in West Bengal, India.
The brand works with a collective of women they were connected to through Common Objective. They provide sewing training, literacy skills, and of course, employment with fair wages, with a goal of helping their women become financially independent.
Founder, Vaishali Umrikar, talks about her journey creating The Empowerment Bag starting from a passion to fight sex trafficking from her high school days. Although not a designer, she talks about how the experience has been an exciting challenge as she learns to incorporate creativity into her strategic and innovative idea.
- Socially Responsible Products You Can Buy at Target
- 6 Ethical and Sustainable Pet Products You and Your Furry Friend Will Adore
- These 6 Ethical Fashion and Lifestyle Brands Are the Future of Style and Luxury
- 3 Things You Might Not Know About Fast Fashion
- Causeartist and Bark Media Team Up to Expand Coverage for the Social Impact Business Sector
Founder of Causeartist and Impact Recipe // Social Entrepreneur