In episode 7, I connect with Leila Veerasamy, Founder and Creative Director of PA.NI Swimwear, a sustainable brand that seeks to normalise swimwear in India by offering timeless clean designs, universally flattering to South Asian women’s diverse body types. Their swimsuits are made with ECONYL®, a regenerated nylon yarn developed from discarded fishing nets and other plastic waste found in the ocean.
Leila is true global citizen, raised in Toulouse, France and Mauritius. She came to India in June 2015 after graduating from Brown University with a double major in Development Studies and Economics.
In this episode, Leila dives into the production process and her love of ECONYL®, finding the right words to respectfully talk about diverse body types in fashion, and our thoughts on the stigma around body image in South Asia, Mauritius, and the western world.
Tune in to learn:
- What is ECONYL® and how it is made
- Why you need to continually innovate your process as a brand and a consumer
- The challenges of diverse representation in fashion in India
Connect with Leila and PA.NI Swimwear at pa-ni.in and on Instagram.
Listen to more Causeartist podcasts here.
- What is a Social Enterprise? The New Wave of Business for Good
- What is Fair Trade Coffee? A Beginners Guide for Better Purchasing
- 10 Carbon Capture Technology Ventures Working to Combat Climate Change
- Meteor Tutors has Created a Safe and Innovative Solution for Music and Language Online Tutoring
- Hasten Ventures on Developing Large Scale Ecosystem Regeneration Projects
Jazz is one of the leading pioneers of the zero waste travel movement in India and the Director of Content at Causeartist. She is the co-founder of Hara House, India's first zero waste guesthouse, and Director of Hara World, an experiential education and impact travel organization for diverse young changemakers. Jazz is deeply passionate about empowering young people to become confident and knowledgeable leaders for sustainable development, zero waste living, conscious fashion, and responsible travel. She is a co-founder of Sustainable Travel Network, and host of the Impact India podcast.. Connect with Jazz at email@example.com