In episode 28 of the Impact India podcast, I chat with Pallavi Yadav and Mehak Tariq Beigh of WeAreLabeless, an eco-conscious brand aligned with the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals led by the United Nations.
Working closely with craftspeople across India, with a focus on employing women, their goal is to help achieve SDG 5: Gender Equality, and SDG 12: Responsible Consumption & Production.
Listen to more Causeartist podcasts.
Pallavi has always been passionate about incorporating sustainability into the fashion industry. She has worked with organizations such as Upasana in Auroville, Doodlage in New Delhi, and also participated in the The Copenhagen Fashion Summit in 2018 as a student candidate from India.
Mehak’s main focus is cultivating the human aspect of business. She has worked with INTACH Srinagar and women-led projects in Kashmir, and had the opportunity to showcase her Phirkath collection at Vancouver Fashion Week in September 2018.
Through WeAreLabeless, the power duo create womenswear, menswear, and accessories from upcycled and handloom fabrics including handwoven cotton, chanderi, silk and linen.
Since COVID-19, WeAreLabeless has focused their production on creating masks from upcycled textiles. So far, they have donated over 500 masks to vulnerable communities across several states in India.
In this episode, Pallavi, Mehak, and I dive into:
- The story behind their brand name.
- Zero waste production and sourcing handloom fabric from Bihar.
- The current challenges Indian weavers are facing in connecting with designers.
- The challenges of sourcing sustainable packaging as a start-up.
Connect with WeAreLabeless at wearelabeless.com and on Instagram @wearelabeless.
“We need to do more than just make clothing. We need a solution towards the problem.”
- George McGraw, Founder of DigDeep Discusses the Affects of Water Poverty on Millions in the United States
- Meet Allégorie, the Impact Fashion Brand Turning Unused Fruits Into Stylish Backpacks and Handbags
- 10 Best Udacity Free Courses to Help on Your Entrepreneurship Journey
- Sangrove and Eco-Stylist Team Up to Launch the First Ever Impact Shopping Week
- 10 Ethical and Eco Friendly Desk Products for Your Home Office
Jazz is one of the leading pioneers of the zero waste travel movement in India and the Director of Content at Causeartist. She is the co-founder of Hara House, India's first zero waste guesthouse, and Director of Hara World, an experiential education and impact travel organization for diverse young changemakers. Jazz is deeply passionate about empowering young people to become confident and knowledgeable leaders for sustainable development, zero waste living, conscious fashion, and responsible travel. She is a co-founder of Sustainable Travel Network, and host of the Impact India podcast.. Connect with Jazz at email@example.com