In Episode 2 of the Disruptors for Good podcast I spoke with Bas Van Abel, founder of Fairphone. on creating the world’s first sustainable phone.
Listen to more Causeartist podcasts here.
Fairphone is a certified B-corp and has created the world’s first ethical smartphone. Created in 2013, Fairphone launched the movement for fairer electronics. The company makes a positive impact across the value chain in mining, design, manufacturing and life cycle, while expanding the market for products that put ethical values first.
The company believes in sourcing conflict-free materials that support local economies, not armed militias. They work closely with manufacturers that want to invest in employee well being and ethical worker practices. The company is also addressing the full lifespan of mobile phones, including use, reuse and safe recycling programs that make it easy to recycle your phone, so the parts can be re-purposed and not end up in landfills and the ocean.
Topics we talk about:
- The complexity of how cell phones are created
- Fair trade materials and supply chains
- Fairphone coming to the Untied States
- The affects on mental health for entrepreneurs
- Potential new products
- Crowdfunding and Equity Crowdfunding
- A Conversation with Anheuser-Busch InBev on Changing Social Norms and Eliminating Harmful Drinking
- MycoWorks has Developed Natural Alternatives to Leather and Plastics using Mushroom Mycelium Technology
- MODHER Is Pushing the Limits of Eco-Friendly Fashion with Its New Sustainable Handbag Line
- The Hidden Genius Project Prepares Black Male Youth to Participate in the Global Tech Economy
- Guide: Startup Funding for Social Entrepreneurs
Grant is the founder of Causeartist, one of the most influential impact business platforms in the world. Since 2013, Causeartist has been read in over 200 countries. Grant has personally interviewed over 600 impact entrepreneurs from around the world, highlighting innovations in ethical fashion, climate change, ethical technology, impact investing, and sustainable travel.