Founded in 2011, Hand in Hand soap was built on a mission to stop the spread of water related illnesses in children. After reading an article stating that 5 million children die every year from water related illnesses, husband and wife team, Bill Glaab and Courtney Apple, set out to create a social business that would address this alarming statistic head on. After some research, they learned that over 45% of those deaths could be prevented by simple handwashing alone and Hand in Hand was born. The mission of Hand in Hand is simple, one bar of soap is donated for every product sold.
In 2010, a devastating earthquake struck the capital of Haiti, killing hundreds of thousands of people and displacing millions, including children. The tragic event stuck with Courtney and Bill has they developed Hand in Hand and it made perfect sense to start their soap donations there. Working in orphanages through the child advocacy group, My Neighbor’s Children, Hand in Hand has donated over 1 million bars of soap to children in Haiti since 2011.
With each donation trip to Haiti, Courtney, Bill and the Hand in Hand team, not only visit the children they provide soap to, but also work through a translator to teach the importance of handwashing. Lessons about when to wash your hands and why you need to keep your hands clean are done through demonstrations, songs and direct lessons.
It is with these lessons and mission that we proudly celebrate Global Handwashing Day on October 15. Established in 2008, Global Handwashing Day is designed to:
- Foster and support a global and local culture of handwashing with soap
- Shine a spotlight on the state of handwashing around the world
- Raise awareness about the benefits of handwashing with soap
- United By Blue – For every product sold, they remove one pound of trash from the ocean.
- MudLove – These artisan made ceramic goods donate one week of clean water for every product purchased.
- Fazl Socks – Vegan wool socks that provide jobs to women in India. Additionally, 50% of proceeds are donated to orphans in India to help with hygiene, education and shelter.
- Conscious Coconut – Organic and sustainably sourced coconut oil. They use Fair Trade practices and employee adults with disabilities, empowering them to lead the lives they choose.
- MABLE Toothbrushes – For every toothbrush sold, a brush is donated to a child in the US. They also work in schools to teach children about good health practices and sustainability.
- Carbon Emissions: The Science, Impacts, and Solutions
- Biodiversity: The Economics and Tapestry of Life on Earth
- The Beacon Fund is Empowering Female Entrepreneurs in Southeast Asia’s Emerging Markets
- Circular Economy: Redefining Business for a Regenerative Future
- New Book: Working to Restore Showcases Regenerative and Restorative Companies Across Nine Industries
Hand in Hand is a personal care brand with a social mission: for every product purchased, one bar of soap + one month of clean water is donated to a child in need. Since 2011, over one million bars of soap have been donated to children in Haiti. All products are cruelty free, vegan and palm oil free for a clean life + clean conscious.