Ocean quotes are a great source of inspiration and awe. The vastness and mystery of the ocean have fascinated people for centuries, and many poets, artists, and writers have used the ocean as a symbol of the infinite and the eternal.
Whether you’re drawn to the ocean’s beauty, its power, or its role in the global ecosystem, there are countless quotes that capture its essence.
The ocean is one of the most awe-inspiring, beautiful and mysterious natural phenomena on earth. Covering more than 70% of the earth’s surface, it is also one of the most vital aspects of our planet’s ecosystem.
The ocean is the world’s largest habitat, with an incredible diversity of marine life and ecosystems.
The ocean is also a source of inspiration and wonder. Many people have been drawn to the ocean for centuries, captivated by its beauty and mystery.
Poets and artists have long used the ocean as a symbol of the infinite and the eternal, and it has inspired countless works of art, literature and music.
Given the importance of the ocean to our planet, it is vital that we take action to protect it. We need to reduce our reliance on single-use plastics and improve waste management systems to prevent plastic pollution from entering the ocean.
We also need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and take steps to mitigate the effects of climate change on the ocean.
In addition, we need to support efforts to create marine protected areas and promote sustainable fishing practices. By taking action to protect the ocean, we can help to ensure that it remains a vital resource for future generations.
The ocean is a vast and complex ecosystem that plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth’s climate and supporting a wide range of life forms.
Here are some ocean statistics that help illustrate the importance and scale of the ocean:
- The ocean covers more than 70% of the Earth’s surface, making it the largest habitat on the planet.
- The average depth of the ocean is around 3,800 meters (12,500 feet), but it can reach depths of up to 11,000 meters (36,000 feet) in places like the Mariana Trench.
- The ocean contains about 97% of the Earth’s water.
- The ocean is responsible for producing over 50% of the oxygen we breathe through photosynthesis by marine plants and algae.
- Approximately 80% of the ocean remains unexplored, with many parts of the deep sea still undiscovered and unknown.
- The ocean is home to an estimated 700,000 to 1 million species, although the actual number may be much higher.
- The ocean provides a major source of food and income for millions of people worldwide, with around 3 billion people depending on seafood as their primary source of protein.
- The ocean plays a crucial role in regulating the Earth’s climate, absorbing around 25% of the carbon dioxide emissions from human activities and helping to stabilize the planet’s temperature and weather patterns.
- The ocean is also a major economic driver, with the global ocean economy estimated to be worth around $1.5 trillion annually.
“The ocean is a mighty harmonist.” – William Wordsworth
“The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination, and brings eternal joy to the soul.” – Wyland
“The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.” – Jacques Cousteau
“We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” – Mother Teresa
“The sea hath no king but God alone.” – Dante Gabriel Rossetti
“I have sea foam in my veins, for I understand the language of the waves.” – Le Testament d’Orphée
“To me, the sea is like a person—like a child that I’ve known a long time. It sounds crazy, I know, but when I swim in the sea I talk to it. I never feel alone when I’m out there.” – Gertrude Ederle
“The ocean is a central image. It is the symbolism of a great journey.” – Enya
“Eternity begins and ends with the ocean’s tides.” – Unknown
“The ocean is a mighty force, but it is also a fragile ecosystem.” – Philippe Cousteau Jr.
“The ocean is a reminder that life is both beautiful and unpredictable.” – Unknown
“The ocean is a poem without words.” – Unknown
“I could never stay long enough on the shore; the tang of the untainted, fresh, and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought.” – Helen Keller
“The ocean is everything I want to be. Beautiful, mysterious, wild and free.” – Unknown
“I have a feeling that my boat has struck, down there in the depths, against a great thing. And nothing happens! Nothing…Silence…Waves…Nothing happens? Or has everything happened, and we are already lost?” – James Joyce
“The ocean is a place of skin, rich outer membranes hiding thick juicy insides, laden with the soup of being.” – Vera Nazarian
“The sea complains upon a thousand shores.” – Alexander Smith
“The ocean is a wilderness reaching round the globe, wilder than a Bengal jungle, and fuller of monsters, washing the very wharves of our cities and the gardens of our sea-side residences.” – Henry David Thoreau
“At sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much.” – Robin Lee Graham
Causeartist is a multi media company spotlighting impact entrepreneurs, impact startups, and corporate social responsibility.