In Episode 2 of the Disruptors for Good podcast I spoke with Bas Van Abel, founder of Fairphone. on creating the world’s first sustainable phone.
Fairphone is a certified B-corp and has created the world’s first ethical smartphone. Created in 2013, Fairphone launched the movement for fairer electronics. The company makes a positive impact across the value chain in mining, design, manufacturing and life cycle, while expanding the market for products that put ethical values first.
The company believes in sourcing conflict-free materials that support local economies, not armed militias. Fairphone works closely with manufacturers that want to invest in employee well being and ethical worker practices. The company is also addressing the full lifespan of mobile phones, including use, reuse and safe recycling programs that make it easy to recycle your Fairphone, so the parts can be re-purposed and not end up in landfills and the ocean.
Topics we talk about:
- The complexity of how cell phones are created
- Fair trade materials and supply chains
- Fairphone coming to the Untied States
- The affects on mental health for entrepreneurs
- Potential new Fairphone products
- Crowdfunding and Equity Crowdfunding
- How the Future of Sustainable Mineral Exploration will Power the Electric Vehicle Revolution
- Meet the World’s First Green Digital Asset, a Carbon Credit-Backed Token
- Investment Banker Turned Social Entrepreneur Left his Career to Design Innovative Clothing for Cancer Patients
- The Journey to Create a New Standard of Mental Wellness Through Unique Psychedelic Therapeutics and Treatment
- Brixilated Created a Mindfulness Curriculum That Uses Lego® to Help Individuals With Their Opioid Recovery Journey
Founder of Causeartist and Impact Recipe // Social Entrepreneur